Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Television Addiction

I worry that my sons and I have the capacity to become addicted to television. It's not that we have empty, meaningless lives that can be fulfilled only by relationships we develop with fictional characters. Rather it is because sitting on the couch being entertained by others seems to affect us like a drug we can't get enough of. And while I wonder if turning the set off permanently is the answer, I also wonder if my own love of TV stems from being deprived of it when I was a child. I grew up with strict rules out when the set could (and couldn't) be on, and so now seem to OD on it whenever I get the chance. I'm torn between setting reasonable limits for my children, and worrying that by doing so, I'm setting them up for the same "can't get enough of it" feeling I now experience.

No comments: