Friday, December 5, 2008

Book Lists

As my kids get older, I've been thinking about what I should suggest that they read. Both boys have done fairly well in discovering favorite books themselves -- well stocked libraries in school and full bookshelves at home have helped with that -- but it seems that it might be useful to provide some guidance for good literature, too.

One title that I've been thinking about lately is Canterbury Tales. They're years away from this, of course, but that lead me to wondering if there has been a retelling of the book for younger readers or even just a more modern version. Sometimes such retellings can be wonderful (think of the movie Clueless); others are just terrible (the 2007 movie Beowulf was so disappointing!). Maybe this is something I should tackle some day?

No comments: