Friday, March 27, 2009

My older child wants tickets to a rap concert for his birthday. DH is totally against the idea, but I can see the wisdom in it. In recent years, my kids have had more and more difficulty in thinking of "things" that they want. It's not that they have all the latest gadgets -- plenty of their peers have lots more -- rather, it is the growing realization that life experiences are more meaningful. The request wasn't made unreasonably - my child realizes that he'll have to have a parent along, and that we won't pay for more than one friend to go with him. Certainly the atmosphere could be unsavory with drugs and all on display, but kids are sophisticated enough to know by middle school (and maybe younger) that these things exist.

1 comment:

sarah said...

I think that showing a kid that a rap concert can be a good time *without* all the drugs is a pretty good message for a parent to send.