Friday, May 22, 2009

Division of Labor

When we were first married, my husband and I were determined to divide up chores according to skill, interest, and general availability. He got home earlier than I did and so tended to use that time to do laundry. I often had at least one weekday off since I often worked on weekends, and was the one who took the car into the shop, when it wasn't so busy. But over the years, especially since we've had children, we've reverted to the stereotypical male and female roles. At a college reunion last weekend, we ran into a gay couple with twin girls. They both seemed so comfortable with taking care of their daughters -- none of the handing the baby over to a spouse when there's a diaper that needs changing, like I see so much with other couples. So I wonder if they've conquered this division of labor thing better than the rest of us?

No comments: