Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rutabagas

It is an ongoing challenge to get my younger son to eat enough fruits and vegetables.  He likes only a few vegetables: corn, peas, carrots (and recently complained that he's tiring of the latter).  He doesn't even like herbs as a flavoring agent (if there is a speck of green in something he invariably complains or tries to pick it out).  As a result, I give him lots of fruit to make up for the lack of produce in his life: apples, cantaloupe, pineapple, berries, watermelon, dried cranberries, grapes, bananas, etc.  Of course he doesn't even like all fruit: most citrus is off limits except for clementines and occasionally, oranges and tangerines.

I'm not a big fan of trying to hide veggies in other foods (the success of Jerry Seinfeld's wife's cookbook not withstanding); I would much rather be upfront about getting my kids to eat foods that are healthful.  So I tried another tactic instead: I asked him what he'd be willing to try, naming as many obscure veggies as I could.  And since he liked the sound of the word "rutabaga" I bought one during my last shopping expedition and the family tried it together a couple of nights ago.  The thing was huge!  So I cut it in half and diced it up, roasting 1/2 of the rutabaga chunks in olive oil with garlic salt, and boiling the rest.  Surprise, surprise, we all liked both versions (although the roasted method won out as our favorite).  Perhaps we'll try turnips or parsnips next...

No comments: