Monday, April 5, 2010

April Fools Day

The kids were off from school last week and so the first day of April was a marathon of pranks and practical jokes.  I have to admit I started the whole thing by telling the boys that I had just heard on the radio that two days of vacation had been cancelled to make up for the two snow days they had enjoyed a month earlier.  They bought it for a moment -- and so were determined to "get" me back.

Their first attempt at payback was to spike my half-and-half with vinegar.  Luckily, I spotted the bottle on the kitchen counter and knew something was up before I put it into my coffee (serves them right for not putting stuff away!!). 

They were more successful a bit later, though.   While I was out for a run, they vaselined the door handle of my office and completely wrapped my office chair and phone in saranwrap.  Just for good measure, they added a whoopee cushion to the seat of my chair.

I thought they were done, but they still had a few tricks up their sleeves.  While I showered, they emptied all the shelves in my closet, hiding all my pants and tops in my husband's amoire (they hid his clothes somewhere else).  Thankfully, I had just done laundry and so found some clean clothes to wear even before I discovered where they had put all my clothes. 

Hubby didn't get off without being pranked, either.  In addition to moving his clothes around, they saranwrapped his desk chair and phone, too, adding a "ha, ha!" message written in shaving cream as an extra creative touch.

What a fun day!

Note: A version of this post is included in the anthology Songs of Ourselves, published by Blue Heron Book Works.

No comments: