Friday, September 17, 2010

Free Writing Ideas

In reviewing my sons' paperwork from last school year (yes, I'm just getting to that now - piles of stuff came home in June and they just sat around all summer until I finally sorted through them yesterday), I found some interesting writing prompts.  Here are the ones I liked best:
  • I woke up one morning and everything was blue (missing, tiny, different, etc.)
  • Suddenly everyone forgot who I was...
  • The day I became Waldo (or some weird or famous person)
  • The day I became a cartoon character
  • The day I won power...
  • The day my teacher was gone and they asked me to be the substitute
  • The day my pet fish began to sing (talk, do tricks, etc.)
  • The day it snowed twenty feet
  • The day the sun grew
  • The night the Martians landed
  • The night before Halloween
  • The night the lights went out
  • The year it wouldn't stop raining (or snowing)
  • The crazy day started when I was on my way to school (or downtown, or grandma's house)
  • Pretend you are a raindrop.  Where would you land and what would happen along the way.
  • Pretend you and your best friend could have a free limo/airplane/ship for 24 hours.  Where would you go and what would you do?
  • Describe a dream that you had, giving as many details as possible.
  • How does happiness feel?
  • The trap door in my closet...
  • While I was walking home from school...
  • I would use a magic want to...
  • I heard a noise under my bed
  • There was a loud knock at the door
  • As I was walking on the beach...

No comments: