Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Thinking of Dad...

The condolence card from one of my cousins reads:

Your dad was such a good hearted man and so much fun to be around.  I'll never forget all the stories he use to tell when we were kids or the fun times that we had with him.

And it is his stories that I will miss the most.  It isn't just his WWII tales, the basis of the book we were writing together and that I wish I had worked harder to finish before he died; rather it was the way that he organized his life into funny anecdotes.  In later years, my mom would get annoyed that he would tell the same stories again and again, but they were the way he defined his life -- into amusing sequences, frequently with a punch line.

Another card had a quotation that I especially liked:

Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.

1 comment:

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
Have a nice day!