Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Hometown: New York City

Every time I've run across Family Circle's "My Hometown" column, I'm tempted to write in about how great it is to raise a family in NYC.  Turns out that I don't have to: someone has already done it for me.  And while I live in a different neighborhood than the author of the piece, we have much in common: I also met my husband while in college in Massachusetts, and moved to NYC believing it would be a brief stop before heading to the suburbs.  But now I can't imagine living anywhere else. 

I love that the NYC skyline is full of famous icons like the Empire State Building (with lights that change for special occasions, like holidays and Jets' victories) and the Chrysler Building (and yes, my family has visited many of the usual tourist sites).  I love the fabulous food markets NY has - close to me is the Vinegar Factory, an Upper East Side staple.  And I love the parks - including Central Park, the Hudson River Park, and the East River Esplanade, all of which I run through regularly.

And like the author, I enjoyed The Complete Works of William Shakespeare at the New Victory Theater last year and am constantly on the lookout for great Broadway bargains.

No comments: