Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Boy's Grown Up

Everyone remarks about how mature and tall my 13-year old son has become.  And he is.  He's 5' 11" and likely to add even more inches in the next few years.  As he's grown taller, he has also slimmed down, and his face has lost its roundness and become more manly.

But to me, one of the most surprising changes has been the change in his voice.  He didn't undergo any sort of awkward transformation, but rather seemed to change over night.  I hadn't noticed it until one day I got out of the shower and heard a man in my apartment.  It was in the middle of the afternoon (I had just come back from a run) -- I knew my husband was at work and couldn't imagine who it was.  The doorman hadn't buzzed me.  What was going on??!!  What a shock to discover that the deep voice belonged to my son!!

And then just like that, I got used to it, so that when I subsequently left a voicemail on his cellphone, I was surprised to hear the old little-boy voice that he had used to set up the voice-mailbox.  And on his confirmation day at church, people remarked about his deep, deep voice, and I was surprised that they were surprised.

Note: A version of this post is included in the anthology Songs of Ourselves, published by Blue Heron Book Works.

No comments: