Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

I grew up in a largely Irish Catholic town in Massachusetts where everyone always wore green and had lavish celebrations to mark St. Patrick's Day.  As a child, you were shunned if you didn't remember to adorn yourself in something of a vivid kelly hue.  It didn't surprise me that a former colleague took St. Patrick's Day off from work every year.  So it feels almost like part of my heritage to continue in the fun every March 17th.  DH, who grew up in a decidedly non-Irish Catholic part of Long Island, is amused by the idea.  And now that I no longer dress my kids, they are having none of this wearing of the green stuff either.  It just doesn't matter here in NYC.  But I press on.

Unfamiliar, as my hubby is, of St. Patrick's Day traditions?  Check out a list of them here.

Here's the menu I'm thinking about for St. Patrick's Day:

Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread
Irish Lamb Stew or Shepherd's Pie
cookies or cupcakes from FreshDirect
Classic Irish Coffee

For more Irish-themed menu ideas, click here.

No comments: