Sunday, April 8, 2012

Happy Easter!

My original menu for Easter dinner was:
Deviled Eggs
Apricot-Pistachio Salad
Roasted Leg of Lamb
Crescent Rolls
Strawberry Tart

But it turns out that DH prefers more of a brunch option after church.  So instead, I think I'll make pumpkin bread for breakfast, so we can have it with our Easter eggs. 

And then we'll have baked French toast for brunch with some thick bacon and fruit.  I've made this (and some similar dishes) before - it is more similar to a strata dishes than classic French toast, but still delicious.

Orange Pecan French Toast

4 eggs
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup milk
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 ½-inch thick bread slices
¼ cup butter
½ cup chopped pecans

Beat together eggs, juice, milk, sugar, vanilla, and nutmeg.  Arrange bread in a single layer; top with egg mixture.  Refrigerate 2 hours.  Melt butter in 10”x15”x2” and arrange bread on top.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Sprinkle with pecans; bake 10 minutes more.

Orange Syrup

½ cup sugar
½ cup butter
1 cup orange juice

Combine and cook over low heat.  Do not boil.  Cool for 10 minutes.  Serve warm.
Serves 4.

Note: I doubt I made the orange syrup before and I'm not sure about it. I think I'll just wait and see if I have the time/energy.

No comments: