Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mom's Inspiration

She Inspires Me, an article from Good Housekeeping in honor of Mother's Day, that relates how a series of mothers and daughters have inspired each other, has made me think about the things I admire about my own mother.

She was an executive secretary at Pontiac, and was, I think, pretty good at her job.  I believe she liked being a career woman and was proud to commute in to Boston to work.  She also relished the perq of getting a new car every year.  She married my dad fairly late in life (for the time - they were both in their late thirties).  She had her first child when she was 39 and her last at 44 -- way before becoming a mother in your late thirties or fourties was common.

She has always cherished a good book and has been a member of the same book club for more than 50 years.  I love the idea of these women gathering together every month for decades to discuss great literature!  And I've followed her lead, having been a member of one book club for more than 15 years, and two others for shorter periods.

I hope that my two boys can find something to admire about me -- that they can find a tangable quality or achievement that makes them proud to be my sons!

No comments: