Monday, September 1, 2014

Try Something New - September

Here are the new things I'm trying in September:
  1. Make homemade pesto. I want to celebrate the end of summer by making a new kind of pesto every day this week. My first attempt, classic pesto, was a great success. I loved the bright taste of a fresh batch! Looking forward to variations on the theme throughout the week.
  2. Try mint-pea pesto. Hardly a winner: bland, bland, bland despite amping up the levels of garlic and cheese. So disappointed!
  3. Whip up some sun-dried tomato and almond pesto. Much better! I used the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes, which intensified the tomato flavor even more.
  4. Prepare vegetables with Thai pesto. I loved this dish, but I think I'm the only one in the family who did.
  5. Make cheddar/walnut pesto. Served it to YS on a baked potato; he actually asked for seconds!
  6. Reflect on these five rules for success. Wish I still had my bulletin board where I could post them!
  7. Make a variation on my lasagna recipe. DH always wants the lasagna to be cheesier. His mother cut slices of mozzarella from a block of cheese; I generally skip the slicing step and use shredded cheese. Tried using packaged slices but I can't say I tasted a difference.
  8. Improve my author bio. Trying like the Dickens to get an agent for my WWII book.
  9. See my first RT. All part of my plan to be more active on social media.
  10. Console C over the loss of her pup. Although we had dogs growing up, Genevieve really felt like the first true canine member of the family.
  11. Follow these 28 tips for getting more stuff done. Productivity has always been an issue for me.
  12. Meet a Pulitzer Prize-winning author. I had a great time hearing stories from Gilbert King related to his book Devil in the Grove
  13. Meet with party planner for my OS's shindig - his first big entrepreneurial venture.
  14. Work church sale. It's good to give back.
  15. ??
  16. Take store credit at LikeTwice. Trying to save up for some designer duds.
  17. Completed first sale to decluttr. Hope it is the first of many - good to be paid real money for old CDs.
  18. Write an essay about my adorable Goldendoodle. 'nuff said!
  19. Drink alone. Not a trend I hope to continue but was amazed at how much I felt I needed that drink!
  20. Stay away from OS's party. Part of letting him succeed (or fail) in this venture on his own.
  21. Updated my social media pic. See #9
  22. Sing with the Daltonics. Not sure this is something I'll continue (didn't realize they meet EVERY week).
  23. Get a request for a full book proposal. Yay, one step closer!
  24. Log in to Aris. Thought I'd done it in the past, but no!
  25. Watch a Google Pub Chat from Writer.ly and Hugh Howey. Good to experience all the various webinar formats and technologies.
  26. Borrow chairs and a table. Growing up, I was taught to be independent and self-reliant. As a result, I often shy away from asking for help even in easy ways. I'm trying to cure myself of that habit.
  27. Share cookies and brownies. In the past, I'd always keep extras from parties to snack on later. Gotta stop going that!
  28. Promise DH to complete WWII book by Xmas. Deadlines are good.
  29. Try a new snack - frozen mango. Tasty way to numb my sore throat.
  30. Go a full day without complaining. “Negative talk produces negative thoughts; negative thoughts produce negative results” says Will Bowen.
Want learn about all the new things I've tried this year? See my lists from JanuaryFebruary, MarchApril, May, JuneJuly and August.

No comments: