Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Trying Something New - December

I didn't do so well in achieving my goal of one new thing every day in November. But this is it--my last chance to make these new things meaningful and real additions to my life. So here is my plan for December:
  1. Kick off a month of wearing red every day. I'm hopeful that the red habit will not only serve as a harbinger of the holidays to come, but as a reminder to try my new thing every day.
  2. Sign up to host a GroupMuse concert. Sofar is a similar service.
  3. Buy some saffron. The Barefoot Contessa raves about it, so when I saw a special on FreshDirect, I knew it was time to try it.
  4. Get a henna tattoo. For a while I was thinking I'd get a permanent, inked tattoo (perhaps a unicorn?) but thinking about the possible ramifications (e.g. hepatitis) made me decide to go a safer route.
  5. Write a VERY short story. Only 40 words!
  6. Watch a girl wrestle. I loved it the year a girl turned out to be a star player on my YS's football team and when a girl pitched for the JV team at my OS's school. And so I was equally excited to see three girls at my OS's wrestling tournament today--especially since one of them won her weight class!
  7. Get a pair of polarized sunglasses. I usually don't buy myself expensive eyewear. I once owned a pair of Serengeti sunglasses but sadly it wasn't long before I scratched them up too much to wear. For a long time that prevented me from investing in another high-end pair. But once I saw the difference that polarized lenses made, I knew I had to have them... so bought a pair of Oakley's today.
  8. Join the Alliance of Independent Authors list. Not only do I want to get serious about my writing, but I want to get serious about publishing it, possibly as an indie author.
  9. Try to make a purchase on ThreadFlip. I've been trying to sell my extra stuff this year and have tried a number of different clothing resale sites. Suffice it to say that this site just didn't work for me at all.
  10. Begin to binge-watch a season of American Horror Story on Netflix. I've done by share of overdosing on specific shows as I catch up with old seasons of new favorites (e.g. watching tons of Lost several years ago, or more recently DVR'ing oodles of Modern Family), but today I got a taste of how compelling it is to do on Netflix, with no commercials and one episode flowing seamlessly into the next.
  11. Make a recovery plan. I'm determined not to repeat the mistakes I made with my OS's last concussion, so I developed a detailed plan for his return to school. Amazingly, he bought into it!
  12. GR?
  13. Try fried pickles. Also nouveau Caesar salad with braised half of a head of romaine lettuce at the Penn Club.
  14. Delegate brunch. I admit that I like to have things just so when I host a party and so often get a little stressed running around to get things done. Those days are over. YS did a spectacular job with the Christmas decorations and cooking the entree, making the whole event easy-peasy for me. 
  15. Keep it hot. I'm used to finding ways to keep food cold, but today's challenge was to keep a quiche hot for 45 minutes as I transported it to a potluck. Taking it out of the oven moments before leaving, wrapping it in aluminum foil and then in a towel I had warmed up in the dryer, and finally putting the whole shebang in an insulated carrier did the trick.
  16. x
  17. x
  18. x
  19. x
  20. Draft intro to letters manuscript.
  21. Depart on cruise from New Orleans.
  22. Wear a toe ring.
  23. Try paddle boarding
  24. See Belize.
  25. Visit Honduras.
  26. Explore the Chacchoben Mayan ruins.
  27. x
  28. Complete draft of children's book.
  29. Follow up on martial arts certificate.
  30. Follow up on dance certificate
  31. Complete WWII letter manuscript.
Want see what other new things I've tried this year? Then click on over to my lists from JanuaryFebruary, MarchApril, May, JuneJulyAugustSeptemberOctober and November.

No comments: