Thursday, April 14, 2016

3 Steps to Better Posture

Despite the usual cliche, my mom never told me to stand up straight (although my husband does and my running coach did, too). But I know I should and so I am reminding myself that there are three reasons why good posture is a good thing:

1. You look slimmer.
2. You appear more confident and more powerful.
3. You develop stronger core muscles - more healthy in many ways.

Three exercises to improve posture (do 1 set 3x/week; rest of time suck in stomach and push shoulders back):

1. Chair pose on wall: stand with back against the wall with arms extended overhead, palms facing front. Bend knees to 90 degree angle and slide down so you look like a chair (back against wall, thighs forming chair seat). Hold for 60 seconds.
2. Forearm plank with single kick: face down with forearms on floor, back straight, feet flexed. Bend one knee and kick toward butt 2x; lower foot and repeat with other leg. Do 10 per leg.
3. Towel-stretch chest opener: stand with feet hip-width apart, holding a towel in front of you with both hands stretched more than shoulder-width apart. Lift arms above head and back as far as you can. Hold for 5 counts. Do 5x.

No comments: