Friday, September 23, 2016

Words Not Spoken

Not too long ago, I read about a mom who taught her young children the sign language symbol for "I love you." This skill allowed her to communicate those words when her kids weren't close enough to hear her or when saying the words out loud might have proved to be unbearably embarrassing. If she was lucky, they would echo the sentiment by signing back.

I wish I had thought to do this years ago. When my boys were little they were so snugly and full of affection it never occurred to me that there would be a time when they wouldn't be. But of course as they grew up, they began to resist my hugs and kisses, and on the rare case they did allow my caresses, didn't want to return them. Just recently, my older son, has begun to share a hug, kiss and "I love you" when he's home from college. Maybe the tide is changing back at last.

No comments: